Bridging Hassio / Snips MQTT

Can anyone assist me with bridging the MQTT? Following SkyHyperV’s example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4bo7ru9q2M&t=356s) when I edit the Snips mosquitto.conf Mosquitto goes Active (exiting) with a error of duplicate pid_file. I have followed the instructions to letter except I’m not using passwords and allow_anonymous true. I have tried moving mosquitto.conf into conf.d folder and leaving it within mosquitto but all the same. Any advice would be fantastic

1 Like

Just a option because I’m not a guru that can help with this but… I followed every tutorial I could find to try and bridge hass with snips and just couldnt get it to work. In the end the simple answer for me was just use a mqtt node in node red to listen to the snips server then do all your snips actions in node red. And use another mqtt node to publish to homeassistant. No config file bridging required and … node red rocks :grin:

Also I followed this video about 50 times and although spoken clearly I couldnt get it to work. However the issue your facing I did strike myself now that I recall. Leave the conf file where it was in /etc/mosquitto/ then when copying his mosquitto file to conf.d make sure you comment out ANYTHING in his conf.d file that is listed in the original /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf file. (Like the pid line ) Try not to modify the original conf file only the one in conf.d.

Ps I’m not on the PC at the moment so I might of answered the paths wrong but you will hopefully understand what I mean :sunglasses:

@lazza Thanks Got it working by removing the IP reference in the moquitto.conf on the Snips server. Will return to this tomorrow with your config and see report back. Yours looks like a better option than my ‘hack’

Nodered seems to be a a better option for one off builds but I have a few hundred to build so coding would be the better way

However, looking with interest at the API option and seeing how that develops

Do you have snips and HA installed on the same device? Then you cannot follow that video to the last bit. This is intended for bridging MQTT between two devices.

On one device, just point snips to the HA MQTT bus, or the other way around. (Probably pointing one of them to 127.0.0.1:1833 should work)

Different devices (Hassio on Odroid XU4 and Snips on Pi 4+) hence the original query :slight_smile: