[newbie] adding more stuff to a simple action

I have a very simple action-script working to which I now would like to add extra stuff e.g.
I’d like it to play an mp3-file with the command: mpg321 nice_musical_fragment.mp3
I put the mp3 file in the skills directory and then tried to add the command in the existing action-file but the mp3-file is not played. It plays from the command line with the above mentioned command but I don’t know how to integrate the command in the action-file. Where exactly should I place the command? Can anyone here help me further?

I put the command in the code below in different places but I never got the expected result:

def action_wrapper(hermes, intentMessage, conf):
    if len(intentMessage.slots.house_room) > 0:
        house_room = intentMessage.slots.house_room.first().value
    if len(intentMessage.slots.on_off) > 0:
        on_off = intentMessage.slots.on_off.first().value
        result_sentence = "Turning lights in the {} {}".format(house_room, on_off)
    else:
        result_sentence = "I did not understand which lights to switch" 
    current_session_id = intentMessage.session_id
    hermes.publish_end_session(current_session_id, result_sentence)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    with Hermes("localhost:1883") as h:
        h.subscribe_intent("hugocoolens:switchthelights", subscribe_intent_callback) \
         .start()

thanks in advance
hugo

I think there is a misunderstanding here. My question was not about which command to use to play the sound-file but where to put the command or how to make the above mentioned action file execute it . I’d like to play the sound file after snips has spoken out the result_sentence in the case it understood the intention.

kind regards,
hugo

Hi Hugo,
If you’re asking how you can execute a shell command in Python, that’s with the subprocess.call function. Example:

import subprocess
subprocess.call(["mpg321", "nice_musical_fragment.mp3"])

If you only want to play the mp3 file when your action code has understood you (that is, if there’s a house_room and on_off slot detected), and after Snips has spoken the result sentence, you have to change your code to something like this (I have not tested this):

if intentMessage.slots.house_room and intentMessage.slots.on_off:
        subprocess.call(["mpg321", "nice_musical_fragment.mp3"])
    else:

By the way, if you make the house_room and on_off slots required in Snips Console, you don’t need to check whether the slots are available: Snips only calls your intent callback then when all required slots are filled in.

1 Like

You can convert your mp3 file to wav and play it over snips topic hermes/audioServer.
Ex:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
 # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
 #
 # Author: Eric Vandecasteele 2018
 # http://blog.onlinux.fr
 #
 # Import required Python libraries
 import paho.mqtt.publish as publish
 SITE = "default"
 MQTT_IP_ADDR = "localhost"
 MQTT_PORT = 1883
 SOUNDFILE = "./ia_ora-notification.wav"
 binaryFile = open(SOUNDFILE, mode='rb')
 wav = bytearray(binaryFile.read())
 publish.single("hermes/audioServer/{}/playBytes/whateverId".format(SITE),
                payload=wav, hostname=MQTT_IP_ADDR)

Thanks for this great reply. I tried it out and it works, apart from one puzzling behaviour: the sound file is played before the resulting sentence is spoken even though in the code the subprocess comes after the command

What could cause this unexpected behavior?

kind regards,
hugo

That’s a threading issue probably. A better solution would be to integrate Eric Vandecasteele’s snippet in your code, after first converting your mp3 file to wav format.

That’s a threading issue probably. A better solution would be to integrate Eric Vandecasteele’s snippet in your code, after first converting your mp3 file to wav format.

I tried Eric Vandecasteele’s snippet in a separate python-script and it works (needed pip install paho-mqtt). Eric’s solution is indeed an answer to my question. However I had as next step in mind to activate some hardware on the rpi (making a gpio pin high or low, addressing something with i2c…), so your solution looked ideal as a starting point for that, I guess it still will be useful, except I don’t have the expected control over what is executed first. I guess there must be a way to achieve that?

kind regards,
Hugo

You can convert your mp3 file to wav and play it over snips topic hermes/audioServer.
Ex:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
 #
 # Author: Eric Vandecasteele 2018
 # http://blog.onlinux.fr
 #
 # Import required Python libraries
 SITE = "default"
 MQTT_PORT = 1883
 SOUNDFILE = "./ia_ora-notification.wav"
 publish.single("hermes/audioServer/{}/playBytes/whateverId".format(SITE),
                payload=wav, hostname=MQTT_IP_ADDR)

Thanks for the reply, it works after a “pip install paho-mqtt”

kind regards,
hugo

Unfortunately trying to merge Eric Vandecasteele’s
code resulted in neither the result_sentence nor the sound-file being played. This is what I had as code:

#!/usr/bin/env python2
SITE = "default"
MQTT_PORT = 1883
SOUNDFILE = "./nice_musical_fragment.wav"
import ConfigParser
from hermes_python.hermes import Hermes
from hermes_python.ontology import *
import io

CONFIGURATION_ENCODING_FORMAT = "utf-8"
CONFIG_INI = "config.ini"

class SnipsConfigParser(ConfigParser.SafeConfigParser):
    def to_dict(self):
        return {section : {option_name : option for option_name, option in self.items(section)} for section in self.sections()}

def read_configuration_file(configuration_file):
    try:
        with io.open(configuration_file, encoding=CONFIGURATION_ENCODING_FORMAT) as f:
            conf_parser = SnipsConfigParser()
            conf_parser.readfp(f)
            return conf_parser.to_dict()
    except (IOError, ConfigParser.Error) as e:
        return dict()

def subscribe_intent_callback(hermes, intentMessage):
    conf = read_configuration_file(CONFIG_INI)
    action_wrapper(hermes, intentMessage, conf)

if intentMessage.slots.house_room and intentMessage.slots.on_off:
        publish.single("hermes/audioServer/{}/playBytes/whateverId".format(SITE),payload=wav, hostname=MQTT_IP_ADDR)
    else:

if __name__ == "__main__":
    with Hermes("localhost:1883") as h:
        h.subscribe_intent("hugocoolens:switchthelights", subscribe_intent_callback) \
         .start()

Does anyone here have an idea how to make this work properly?

kind regards,
hugo

Hi Hugo,

It works fine with one of my action-test program. The only difference is that I publish on hermes/audioServer topic before ending the session.

Hope this will help.

Test code is available here https://github.com/onlinux/snips-zibase/blob/master/test-action-zibase.py

if arg is not None:
for i, item in enumerate(arg):
logger.debug(item)
url = “http://{}/cm?user={}&password={}&cmnd=Power%20on”.format(
item, sonoffUser, sonoffPassword)
logger.debug(url)
try:
resp = requests.get(url)
logger.debug(resp.text)
except requests.ConnectionError, e:
sentence = ‘Désolé mais çà n’a pas marché. Peut être un problème de connexion au sonoff.’
logger.warning(e)

logger.debug(sentence)
            publish.single("hermes/audioServer/{}/playBytes/whateidver".format(SITE),                              payload=wav, hostname=MQTT_IP_ADDR, client_id="")**
            hermes.publish_end_session(intent_message.session_id, sentence)
2 Likes

As I don’t get Erics solution working (I’m a newbie). It would be nice if someone here could modify Koan’s solution such that the threading issue is solved. Koan’s solution is easier to understand for a beginner and it would also be easier to adapt it for driving hardware connected to the raspberry pi (via the respeaker 2 module).

kind regards,
Hugo

Dear Eric,
I tried to make it work with the app " lettherebelight" which is in the Store. Could you have a look at it? I’d appreciate it very much.

kind regards,
Hugo

Hi Hugo,

I tried your assistant and modified the code snippet and it eventually works properly. This is only an example.

Once you have deployed your assistant, create a wav file as /tmp/on_off.wav
and add the line “paho-mqtt” to the requirements.txt file in /var/lib/snips/skills/xxxx.lettherebelight directory, then run setup.sh script in the same directory. This will install the missing module paho-mqtt for snips. You need to do it only once.

I would suggest to work on the full code of your assistant and not the code snippet. The code will look much cleaner.

Here is the snippet modified:

SITE = "default"
SOUNDFILE = "/tmp/on_off.wav"
if len(intentMessage.slots.house_room) > 0: #we check if the house_room slot is available
    house_room = intentMessage.slots.house_room.first().value # We extract the value from the slot "house_room"
if len(intentMessage.slots.on_off) > 0: #we check if the on_off slot is available
#    result_sentence = "Turning lights in the: {}".format(str(house_room+' '+on_off))
#the code line below is better coding according to Koen Vervloesem
    result_sentence = "Turning lights in the {} {}".format(house_room, on_off) # The response that will be said out loud by the TTS engine.
else:
publish.single("hermes/audioServer/{}/playBytes/whateverId".format(SITE),payload=wav, hostname="localhost", client_id="")
1 Like

Hey Eric,
You made my day. Thanks a lot for helping me out. It now works like a charm and I learned a lot from your explanation too.

kind regards,
hugo

Hello Eric,
In your code you have chosen:

SOUNDFILE = "/tmp/on_off.wav"

This works, but the problem is that when rebooting the system you have to put back the on_off.wav file in /tmp. I thought I’ll make a directory /home/pi/music and put the on_off.wav file there, change the code to:

SOUNDFILE = "/home/pi/music/on_off.wav"

To my surprise this doesn’t work, could you explain what the reason for this could be?

thanks in advance and kind regards,
hugo

My guess: the user that runs the skill (_snips-skills or something like that) doesn’t have read privileges for /home/pi, but it does for /tmp.

1 Like

My guess: the user that runs the skill ( _snips-skills or something like that) doesn’t have read privileges for /home/pi , but it does for /tmp

Do you know in which log file I could see more or can I put a command in the script to get more debugging information?

kind regards,
hugo

Hi Hugo,

Yes, i would answer the same as Koan. This is a question of read access.
Your script cannot access /home/pi/sounds directory.
I used /tmp just as an example

The best for you, would be to place the wav file under the same directory of your script, which should be
/var/lib/snips/skills/xxxx.lettherebelight

and for instance, define the path as
SOUNDFILE = “./on_off.wav”

Regards

1 Like

A tail -f /var/log/syslog while the intent is activated should give you some information.

1 Like