[Psycho] Software Licenses Revoked

@everyone, As of January 31, 2020, all licenses for my software for Snips are revoked. You may not continue to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the software after that date. If, for some reason, you want to continue using any of my material, you can contact me (Psychokiller1888) on Project Alice (https://projectalice.io/). There are no guarantees that I will issue you a new license.

So, why am I posting this, and bothering everyone with a mention? Because, if you’ve developed software for Snips, you might want to revoke your licenses as well. If you released your software under an open source license, and do not revoke the licenses, your software may be subject to distribution by Sonos without any credit to you; at least not that anyone would ever see.

I don’t know about you, but I’m OK with Sonos taking their new toy home, and not letting developers like me play with it anymore. I’m not OK with Sonos selling products that include my software after taking such an action. Had they chosen to keep the console open and available, I wouldn’t be revoking the licenses – I’d be happy if they wanted to distribute the software according to the license granted.

I’m not so conceited as to believe my work is especially valuable, so I don’t expect this to have any real impact on Sonos. However, if everyone revokes their licenses, and if Sonos’ management had been under the mistaken impression that they were purchasing software to do everything that was available on the Snips Console, at least they’ll be awakened to the truth, and have to put in a lot of effort to get things working. Let’s face it – none of the example apps written by Snips personnel actually work with the current version of Snips. :slight_smile:

Initiative @franc Software Licenses Revoked

7 Likes