Run snips app on macOS

Hi there,

I’m totally new to snips. Anyway I went through the quick start for macOS and everything worked so far. After that I added a snips app from the store. Deployed it by downloading the assistant manually and copied it to the assistant folder on macOS to ‘usr/local/share/snips/assisstant’. When I run the assisstant after this it is recognizing the intents but the actioncode isn’t excuted at all. Do I need to put the action code somewhere?

Thanks a lot in advance

bozor

Hello,

If you deploy the assistant manually, the associated action code is not installed.

You can find the repository of that action code, and perform a manual deployment on Mac.

rough steps:

1/ clone the action to /usr/local/var/snips/skills

2/ run setup.sh (which is located inside the cloned action code folder)

3/ make sure to restart / start snips-skill-server

1 Like

Thanks a lot for ur answer. I’ll try this asap.

Is anything about this in the quick start guide mentioned? I haven’t seen anything.

Probably a good idea to add this info.

There is no info about install actions on Mac yet. Because we suppose the user running snips on Mac is mostly for developing and testing, not for a “production” deployment. So that’s why you see that at the end of Quick start on Mac Os, there is a sample action code instead of steps for installing action code.

But the action code idea is kind of simple once you start to understand how does snips platform work. It’s just a mqtt client to grab snips output and give a specific action. So if you wish to install any action code, you can simply clone its repo and run it. Aside from this, if you wish to run the action code by snips-skill-server which make sure to restart action code if it failed, then you will have to put these code in to a specific folder and set a proper entry file(if you make your own).

So I’ve put the action in the /usr/local/var/snips/skills folder. After installing and starting snips-skill-server i’ve run the setup.sh from the action and still no reaction. So the action is still not triggered. What am I doing wrong? Any hint?

EDIT: Btw if everything is running and running brew services list all services are showing started in a green color except for snips-skill-server

EDIT 2: I’ve opened the log file of snips-skill-server

WARN:snips_common_cli::cli: configuration file “/usr/local/etc/snips.toml” not found
INFO:snips_skill_server_lib::runner: searching dir for actions: /usr/local/var/snips/skills/alarmclock
INFO:snips_skill_server_lib::runner: searching dir for actions: /usr/local/var/snips/skills/resources
INFO:snips_skill_server_lib::runner: searching dir for actions: /usr/local/var/snips/skills/examples
INFO:snips_skill_server_lib::runner: searching dir for actions: /usr/local/var/snips/skills/venv
ERROR:snips_skill_server : no actions found !

Did you put your action in a subfolder of /usr/local/var/snips/skill?

(Also, here is some documentation about how the skill server works: https://docs.snips.ai/articles/console/actions/actions/code-your-action/action-specifications#specifications)