[Solved] Jetson Nano hermes-python problem

Hi everybody,
I’m trying to install Snips on a Jetson Nano with the latest Jetpack, python and snips. For the installation of Snips and assistant, I’m using the Jetson TX2 guide. Using the snips-platform-demo I don’t have any problem but when I have to create the venv for the assistant I can’t install hermes-python.
It gives me this error on the terminal when i do pip3 install hermes-python:

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement hermes-python (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for hermes-python

when i search for every package with the name hermes i see the hermes-python (0.7.0).
Why pip can’t find and install hermes?

Thanks

Hi @mark,

The wheels for your architecture are currently not available on pypi.

We are working on that.

Meanwhile,
You can create them on your board directly.

To proceed, follow the build instructions documented in hermes-protocol repository.

I hope this help!

[edit]
An issue has been filled if you want to track it.

Hey @mark, there’s also a link on the documentation on how to do it : https://hermespython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#building-from-source

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve compiled Hermes for the Nano and installed on the system and the venv of the skill for snips, but when I start the script for my assistant, on the terminal, gives this error:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘hermes_python’

it means that hermes is not installed?

EDIT:
I checked the .whl file that i compiled and i see is only 15KB while the .whl file on the donwload section for others platforms is 2 or 3 MB. On the file complied i see only the folder hermes_python-0.7.0.dist-info.

EDIT2 Solved:
I’ve done the build finally, but i had to create the folder dylib on “hermes_python”, copy inside the file libhermes_mqtt_ffi.so and then copy the folder “hermes_python” on the main folder “hermes-platform”. after that inside the env compile the source with the setup.py. I think the proble is about the os python library. On the nano works differently than on a pc with the same python 3 and ubuntu 18.04.

2 Likes

Dear Mr Mark,

I am struggling to get hermes_python running on my jetson nano. I am having the same issues that you were that the module is not found. I am not quite understanding what your final solution was as I can not find many of the folder/files that you listed. Thank you in advance for your extremely quick response.

Regards,
JBG

Hello @jetbotgirl,

Please follow the instructions in the Building from sources guide here : https://hermespython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#building-from-source

Just make sure that before running the python setup.py bdist_wheel command, you run this command before in the hermes-protocol directory :

mkdir -p platforms/hermes-python/hermes-python/dylib

Cheers.

hey @Anthony

Thank you for your response! I followed the building from source steps again and ran that command before running setup.py. However, the code snippets that I have written still do not run when the voice commands are recognized. Do you have any other additional ways that this could be fixed?

Thanks,
JBG